Monday, October 3, 2011

Tales of a hunter's wife

When I say Keith and I are polar opposites, I'm totally not kidding.  He's country and I'm not-so country.  I wouldn't consider myself a total "city girl" but I'm far from a country girl.  The only thing I remotely enjoy is fishing, although, I refuse to take my fish off the hook.  It scares me to death.  I used to not be as grossed out by outdoorsy things.  When Keith and I first started dating, I loved riding 4-wheelers and sitting with him in a deer stand, etc.  Poor Keith.  I do feel bad that I've changed as I've gotten older but (go ahead you little redneck girls that may happen to read my blog and get mad...lol) girls aren't supposed to get dirty and all that.  It's just way too "manly" for me. 

I used to get really annoyed when hunting season came in.  I feel like a single woman.  Seriously, every single chance he got, he was hunting.  Now, I'm like, "Hey, as long as it is putting meat in the freezer!".  (We only process deer meat and of course, the fish although Keith likes quail, I don't eat it)  Keith's biggest things he likes to hunt is #1, deer and then duck, quail and turkey.  He absolutely loves to fish, especially salt water fishing.  Keith lived in Hawaii for a few years while he was growing up and his Dad had a boat and would fish commercially.  I've always said that one day, I want to send Keith to Costa Rica on a fishing trip as a surprise.  But, the past few years, he's been selected by the State to receive a gator tag.  Basically, it's a lottery type system.  You enter your name and people are randomly selected to receive (1) tag.  Keith has "won" the past 2 or 3 years. 

Saturday was a BUSY day for me and Preslei.  We had a baby shower to go to for a friend of mine from high school and then she had a birthday party.  I decided we would do a drop in at the shower and then go to the bday party.  After the birthday party was over (1pm), I got back in the car and checked my phone.  Keith had sent me a picture.  They finally caught a gator.  Keith insisted that I drive to his friend, Robert, house to see the gator.  I wasn't thrilled because we made lunch plans with my sister in law and nephew but since it was important to him, we went. 

HOLY. CRAP. 

This gator was huge.  It was 11 ft. 1 in. and weighed an estimated 600-650lbs.  I felt the inner redneck coming out b/c I was snapping pics left and right.  If I wasn't wearing a cute outfit and had all my teeth in my mouth, I felt like we would have been a perfect fit on "Swamp People".  LOL.

Here are the pics......





 Taylor, Robert's son (l), Robert (c) and Keith (r)


Scary!!!


 Bahahaha, I can't help but just laugh at this picture. 



RAWR!!!!! ;o)

On Sunday, they caught another one.  It was much smaller (8ft something) so I didn't take any pictures.  But, if I can get my hands on the video that was taken, it's totally going on Youtube.  I don't think I've laughed that hard in a LONG time.  Long story short, the didn't kill the gator in the water.  They just taped his mouth and put him in the back of the truck.  Keith wanted Preslei to see a live gator.  Well, when they pulled him out of the back of the truck, his back legs got untied so.....Keith was trying to jump on it and he was getting scared.  It was the funniest thing ever. 

I must say though, as opposite as Keith and I are and as much as I'm SO not a country girl, I'm glad he has a hobby that he enjoys.  And...I must say, my little hunter cleans up very nice when he's not wearing all that camo and hunting stuff!


2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you're getting a pair of boots out of that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your little hunter cleans up very nicely indeed!! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete