Umm....yeah. I was beyond LIVID let me tell you. So, with my husband's "new" job a year ago and switching insurance companies in January, apparently, they won't pay for Florida doctors b/c they are out of network. Meaning, my BELOVED and I mean B.E.L.O.V.E.D. Dr. Morales, my ob/gyn, isn't in my network. Keep in mind, this is the exact same doctor that helped me get pregnant after two years of infertility. The same dr. that I swore I would never take a million dollars to switch. BUT....with that being said, yes, I could have stayed at his office but I'd end up having to pay approx. $6K out of pocket JUST for the birth and that doesn't include the doctor bills. I was so upset because when you go through something like infertility and you finally find a doctor that is a God-send, someone that listens and doesn't judge you, and ultimately, helps you conceive your miracle baby, there is a soft spot in your entire life for them. My doctor and his entire staff treat you like family. The day I realized this was early on in my pregnancy, I had to wait and wait and wait to be seen b/c Dr. Morales was at the hospital in a delivery. When he came back in the office, he shared with his staff the arrival of his patient's baby, and the ENTIRE office was genuinely excited.
I have been on a diligent search for a new doctor for several months. The town where I live is very small. Not like middle of the desert small but small. The hospital here is, no offense to anyone, but just so crappy I don't know if I would even go there for an emergency. It is affiliated with the larger hospital in the next town over and there are so many people that develop Staph, there should be lawsuits. Maybe its me, but personally, I would and have always felt so much more comfortable in a larger hospital in a larger city. I feel like they are more up to date with technology and if (God-forbid) anything happens, they have the equipment and resources and knowledge to handle the situation. I also wanted a doctor is who isn't 100% opposed to VBACs. That doesn't mean I am hell bent and determined to have one but I want to be well informed by a doctor that can give me an unbiased perspective. After donig my research, I decided I wanted to deliver at Phoebe Putney in Albany GA because they have an excellent NICU department and its a larger hospital. Now, I had to find a doctor.....well, I think I may have found one. Dr. Gaydos at The Veranda. My first ob/gyn was a female and she is the one that I wouldn't spit on if she was on fire and then Dr. M was a male so given my history, I was reluctant scheduling an appointment with another woman. Women are just judgmental.....well most are anyways. I decided to say the heck with it and make the appointment. After talking on the phone with the appointment clerk, she told me Dr. Gaydos specializes in PCOS. PCOS is what I was diagnosed with as the reason for my infertility. Even though since giving birth, I have had no signs or symptoms of PCOS returning, I think I have definitely chosen the right doctor for me. She will completely understand my history and what I have gone thru.
Hopefully she will meet all of my expectations and more. :)
Pics
3 weeks ago

I'm interested to know how Dr. Gaydos feels about VBACs. As a resident, I am also looking for a ob/gyn that will at least consider VBAC's! Good luck with your appointment.
ReplyDeleteAre you from here?
ReplyDeleteYes I'm from here.
ReplyDeleteOkay :) If you want to send me an email you can so I will know who you are but if you want to stay anonymous, I can just do another blog entry. My email is amandakines@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteFrom what I hear, the doctors at the Veranda are open to VBACs. There was a doula I found on facebook that recommended the Veranda for VBACs. Hope that helps!!
I've visited the Veranda and have totally changed my doctor. I wanted Dr. Gaydos, but she is in heavy demand. I'm happy with my new doc though. Dr. Sewell.
ReplyDeleteOh lord, now you have me curious as to why you switched practices. Any particular reason other than Dr. Gaydos wasn't available?
ReplyDeleteOh no! I switched TO Dr. Sewell at the Veranda. My former doctor at Women's Health Professionals was totally against VBAC. The doctors at the Veranda are open to it. I was told that because Dr. Gaydos is the only woman in OB, all the women want her and I would have had to wait longer to be seen by her.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh okay!!! Well good, that makes me feel better! My appt is August 3rd so I just hope I like her and feel comfortable there. My doc in Tallahassee was just amazing so its going to be hard with someone new. That stupid doc in Thomasville just has me very bitter towards women doctors but I'm going to have an open mind!
ReplyDelete